Sexing two Black Copper Marans and a Mille Fleur D'Uccle

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vonemmel, Aug 8, 2013.

1. vonemmel

vonemmel New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi folks, any help is appreciated in sexing these three chicks. This is my first time raising chickens. My city, Oakland, doesn't allow roosters. So, I will need to rehome the cockerels.

The first two are Black Copper Marans and the third is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle bantam.

Chick # 1 (Therese/Terry) - Black Copper Maran
    She/he is a sweet docile chick, and lower in the pecking order. However, the chick is slow to feather and has a sizable comb.

[​IMG]

Chick #1 at 10 days old

[​IMG]

Chick #1 at 10 days old

Chick #2 (Monique/Manny) - Black Copper Maran
    From the beginning, chick #2 has had an assertive personality, and gets on top of my hand every time I feed the chicks. The chick is often the first to explore the unknown. He/she tries to bump chest with the eldest chick, a 6 week old pullet.

[​IMG]
    Chick #2, Manny/Monique, at 10 days, is on your right.

[​IMG]
    Combs at week two - Chick #1, Therese/Terry, is on your right. Chick #2, Manny/Monique is on your left.

[​IMG]

The combs at week three - Chick #1 is on your left. Chick #2 is on your right.

Chick #3 (Edie/Eddie) - Mille Fleur D'Uccle
    She/he is quick and has jumped on top of the older splash orpington (on right below). She/he is fast to feather and has very little comb.

[​IMG]
    At two weeks old, chick #3 is on your left. Note the quick feathering. (A splash orpington pullet is on the right)

[​IMG]
    Chick #3 at two weeks is on far left. Chick #1 at two weeks old is in middle (The orpington at 5 weeks old is on right.)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of you Marans look like cockerels. Your D'uccle, at this point, looks like a pullet. However, post some more photos in a few weeks so that I can give a better opinion (ten days is kind of early-- the only reason I am reasonably sure on the gender of your Marans is that they both have very large combs for this age).

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Marans roos and d'Uccle pullet.

4. vonemmel

vonemmel New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Thank you! I appreciate your help. I will post pics of the D'uccle again at four weeks.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

6. vonemmel

vonemmel New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Bantamlover21, thanks!

Today, I posted the Black Copper Marans on Craigslist for adoption.

I sure hope the Splash Orpington is a girl. She is 7 weeks old now, and the comb is still yellow. She feathered fast, and is broody with the other chicks, keeping them warm. She is the most friendly of the chicks. I figured that because she was eldest, she was top of the pecking order. As the Marans got older, they challenged her. Well, I will post her pics on a separate thread.

Thanks, all!

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I know FBCMs fairly well, but not the others. If you can't have roosters, you were right to put them on CL. They're both cockerels. I have an 8 week old FBCM with a smaller comb than either of yours at 10 days old.

8. vonemmel

vonemmel New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Sphinx, thanks for the confirmation!

I aim to find these boys a good home in California near the coast, and will deliver them. Anyone know someone in California who would love two FBCM roos?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by