Sexing two to seven day old Turkey Chicks

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kengland, Mar 10, 2014.

1. kengland

kengland Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Hi All,

I'm planning on purchasing two broad breasted bronze chicks from our coop this Wed. They are all straight run. I would prefer to have toms so trying to increase my odds by being able to know what the identifiable traits the males have.

Can anyone offer pointers on how to increase my odds? Thanks!

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I'm about 80% accurate at picking out the difference if I have a large enough group of same age poults to look at. What I do is find the babies with the largest snoods (the fleshy part above the beak) compared to the others. Those have a really good chance at being male.

3. kengland

kengland Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Ok...I'll give it a shot. Thanks! I've also read about "sqaure heads" vs a more "round head?" I might just throw that it for good measure.

4. auringer6

auringer6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    See if any show a display for you. We found that our toms last year showed off from day 1. Also my husband swears that the one that pecks at your finger are males. That is how he picked our males last year lol.

5. sashacat

sashacat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Good tips, I was wondering, too. Has anybody noticed a size difference between the males and females at a very young age? Mine should be hatching tomorrow. I want to save a couple toms and sell the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by