1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sexing walk through??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kidcallous, May 18, 2010.

1. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    There is a listing near me where they are selling:

Barred Rock/Cukoo Marans cross bred. 1 month old for 2 bucks a piece. Selling as a straight run.

My question is - at 1 month old, what is the easiest way to tell if they are hens or roos??

Is there a way to tell at that age easily?! 2 bucks is a STEAL!

2. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] Come on, I know someone out there has a pointer or 2!

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco 8 Years

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. Chicks are hard to sex, except for a few breeds that are sex linked. Many you can't tell until a month or some even longer. If you are talking crossbreeds that are so similar in appearance anyway, you are going to have a tough time until they are growing huge combs, crowing or laying eggs. Sorry to be the bearer of this news, but its just a tough business in that sense.

4. zDoc

zDoc Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    Give them a remote control....if they stay close to it they are males. [​IMG] No seriously...I'm sorry I can't help you other than to tell you to get the book raising chickens for dummies it tells you how in there.

5. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yeah these are 1 month olds. was hoping for a miracle.. at 2 bucks a piece.

I'd rather be guaranteed hens than take a chance, get attached and have to kick the roos to the curb before my neighbors do it for me!

I am telling my husband about all I've learned and he said "Well, what can you do if they are roosters?"
    Me: "You can eat them?"
    DH: "Yeah, who's gonna kill them?
    Me: "Or put 'em on craigs list and someone else will eat them?"

[​IMG]

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco 8 Years

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Do this, post pictures showing the side view of the body and then with the side view of a close (but not too close) of the head and put them on here. If you have some boys there we might be able to see some combs popping up on those that take after the BRs at least, they get theirs rather soon and at one month we may see something there.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Well, the reason they're being offered at such a great deal is that you are taking the risk of not knowing the sex of the ones you are choosing. If you really only want pullets you may have to pay more for professional hatchery-sexed chicks, or pay more for older birds whose sex is more evident.

But even with hatchery-sexed chicks there is still a chance for error. I tell folks to always have a Plan B for any unwanted roos, and to not name or get attached to new chicks until you know for certain you will be keeping them. You can enjoy your chicks while they're young but resist the temptation to start knitting each of them their own Christmas stocking. Practice saying "If this one's a hen we will keep then we will name her..."

That being said, you may still be able to guess the sex of those chicks with some accuracy. At one month the males *should* start showing some more pink/reddish color in their combs, and their shanks (the skin-covered parts of their legs) *should* look thicker than their sisters. This is by no means a fool-proof method, some cockerel chicks are slower to show these characteristics, some pullet chicks appear more robust than their sisters.

A BR/Marans cross cockerel should turn out nice & meaty, he'd be a good deal at $2 anyway. Well worth your while to learn how to process for your table!

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:My Cuckoo Marans chicks were easy to tell apart by a month old. The boys had very obvious combs and not much in the way of tail feathers. If the BRs tend to be like that too it might be easier than you thinkto pick out the girls...

9. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very Nice!! I am really scrounging for cheap/free materials to build my coop/run. Once I get that little sucker up, I'll be going shopping!!

I watched a few youtube videos, which should help me in identifying sex as well. I can hardly contain myself here and I'm getting so impatient!!

BUT, After reading alot of predator horror stories, and things like that - I'm determined to create Fort Knox before I buy any little ladies to call it home. This is a great site to learn from other peoples 'experiences' and try to do the best to make it right the first time.

If anyone has any other pointers for a beginner - feel free to teach me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: