Sexing Welsh Babies, Pictures added!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsFordTN, Apr 19, 2011.

1. MrsFordTN

MrsFordTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok I have babies hatching from eggs I bought from NellaBean, and I am a bit confused on how to sex by the bill marking/color. Can anyone explain it to us?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. MrsFordTN

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok thanks! We have one baby that has hatched, and looks wore out! But it has a stripe down it's nose. We also have one baby that is maybe a couple months old and can't seem to figure out sex! I will go and get pics!

4. MrsFordTN

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok even after looking at that site, I am still confused. All my babies have a stripe down their bill with a dot on the end. any ideas?

5. Even females can have some degree of a stripe down the middle, it can get to be confusing. It just depends on how much pink to black. Do you have a picture you can post? The earlier the better because they can change fast. Sometimes you just have to wait until their voices change.

6. MrsFordTN

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Will go get pics now!

7. MrsFordTN

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok here are the first 5, the rest are still (4) are still in the incubator and one is still hatching, I think I did good to only have one quitter! I am so excited, DH wants to keep them all! The reason I am worried about their sexes is out of our bought welshies only one made it, we posted pics and I think everyone said it was a girl, well now that it is getting feathers, black feathers all over, I think she is a he.

First two born, one male one female??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next completely dry baby, Male?

[​IMG]

And the two latest out of the bator, Males? One on the left is darker in person.

[​IMG]

8. Wow, it's a hard call on those, except that one female in the first pair. I would actually lean towards them all being female, but the odds are obviously against it.
    How old is that older one that's getting dark? Sometimes even female Welsh Harlequin lean towards dark hoods and body feathering and they change so much at first that you can't know anything for certain until you hear the voice change.

9. MrsFordTN

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    The first babies hatched two days ago, then the last two hatched sometime after 2 am last night. I know they are hard to tell, but only one, the one on the left in the last pic is the only real dark billed one.

Gary, DH named it, the older baby is about 2 ish months old. I will go get a pic of it too! VERY loud little one, but never had ducks before, so not sure about the quack thing

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. MrsFordTN

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gary as a baby

Lighter colored bigger one

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by