sexing welsummer x questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buckabucka, May 13, 2011.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I know that welsummers with a sharply defined triangle on their head and eyeliner usually means it is a pullet. I just hatched a welsummer (hen) x EE (roo). The resulting chick has the sharply defined triangle and eyeliner.
    I am wondering if it is possible to determine the sex of a cross-breed by these markings. Does the female only pass her markings on to male offspring, like a barred rock? Or are the markings just random? Just trying to figure out the sex of this bird, without having to wait a long time.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I am interested in the answer to this question also. I have some Welsumer eggs in my incubator plus a Wel/ RIR mix. I did learn that the markings sexing is not fool proof. I will try to go by it however.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    It's possible, depending on the coloration of the EE. Since EE's are so variable, I wouldn't put much stock in sexing by chick down.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I just hatched some Welsummer mix chicks. The rooster is a gorgeous pure Wellie, and there were 3 different hens (2 hatched from my Spotted Sussex, and one each from a BSL and a GSL. Both the ones from the SS had beautiful "female" eyeliner markings and the others didn't. It now looks like I got one girl and 3 boys. So NO it doesn't work consistently (if at all!)

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks. That's good to know. I'll just have to wait it out with the other chicks. I really hope some are girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by