sexing wh by bill color?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dutchhollow, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Keep reading you can do this, but how? I picked up four picked up two with darker shading on the head and two lighter ones, but the bills all looked similar, a few had more pinkish then dark grey maybe?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The males should have a solid dark colored bill and the females will have an orange bill with a dark tip. Or do I have that backwards?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. dutchhollow

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Hum, maybe I will try a picture, and maybe I will run back today and get some more!!

4. dutchhollow

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Well, after checking that pic in the link, I freaked out and ran back and bought the last five (three of them have pinker bills then the ones I got yesterday). Anyone else have these and is that a surefire way to sex them? These are a little older then the ones in the picture on the link they are two weeks old now and those look newly hatched, how fast do they change? I can sell the extra boys at a swap next weekend, but want to be sure not to sell any girls. I will try some pictures later.

5. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Okay, I hate to be the voice of dissent, but both websites have it backward!

Ducks have dark bills and drakes have light bills. From hatch on.

Webfoot

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    can this work with call ducks ?

7. dutchhollow

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Thanks webfoot, I couldn't figure out how the ducks had darker bills as adults, the standard says and males have yellowish bills as adults. And I have seen them both ways on websites, I was getting very confused. Well, I will have to take pics. and see what everyone thinks!
    Thanks!

8. I don't have any experience with this myself, I have just been collecting information because I may try it someday. Here is what Dave Holderread has to say about it.
    "Upon vent sexing the hatchlings, it was discovered that those with the darker bills were almost all males and those with light-colored bills ending in a dark tip were females. . . . after vent sexing thousands of Harlequin ducklings during the subsequent years, I have found that they can be sexed with at least 90 percent accuracy by day old bill color. A few days after hatching, the distinction in bill color begins to disappear."

9. Quote:I really don't think so, it's just a quirk Holderread discovered with Welsh Harlequin. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by