Sexing Wheaten Marans - Photo Heavy

I will try for a photo shoot here in 3 or 4 hours.

Trying to wrap up a new run right now. OK, I am actually drinking a cup of Joe and surfing the net for a few.

Photo Shoot Complete -

They were not real excited to participate, seemed they really didn't need to be distracted from what they were doing.

Anyway, here we go with side shots. I am thinking maybe, number 4 might be a roo. Larger comb, and the only one with any hint of darker feathering at this point. It is also the only one lacking feathered legs.

These are not in the same order as the first round.

Chick 1

Rnd2Chick1.jpg

Chick 2

Rnd2Chick2.jpg

Chick 3

Rnd2Chick3.jpg

Chick 4 - 2 Shots

Rnd2Chick4a.jpg

Rnd2Chick4b.jpg

Chick 5

Rnd2Chick5.jpg

Chick 6

Rnd2Chick6.jpg

Chick 7

Rnd2Chick7.jpg

Group Shot - Suspect Roo in front and center

Rnd2Group.jpg

number four could be a roo in about a week if it is it will have a wide band of black in the wing. the others are pullets. Cant wait mine and buddys are in the hatcher now so impatiently waiting.they are so cute and so soft. congrats I hope we are as lucky getting more pullets

It looks to me like #7 also has a slightly bigger comb. I also noticed that some have black spots on their heads and some don't. Is that also an indicator? I suppose not or it would have been mentioned by now.

OK, so we have reached a definate conclusion.

The real issue, wait three weeks, and you can definately tell. There are three fairly obvious traits.

Black bar coming in on wing - Roo
Larger Combs - Roo
Earlier Feathering in on Shoulders - Pullet

3 Roos - 4 Pullets, not a bad start for breeding.

Rnd3Chk1.jpg

Rnd3Chk2.jpg

Rnd3Chk3.jpg

Rnd3Chk4.jpg

Rnd3Chk5.jpg

Rnd3Chk6.jpg

Rnd3Chk7.jpg

Hi Nivtup
Am curious about your chicks and whether you were right with your diagnosis. I know this post was 6 years ago but am new to chicks.

I have 4 Wheaton marans at 3 and bit weeks and wanting to determine sex of chicks. We have 2 that are obviously female with lovely light brown feathers. One has black tinged to its wing feathers but the other has dark brown wings.
Do I look out for feathers on legs and comb development too?

From your photos which are Roos and pullets?
Thanks for help

Gorgeous chicks!!!! No idea on sex, sorry... but was hoping for your opinion on whether this mystery chick could be a wheaten marans??

Gorgeous chicks!!!! No idea on sex, sorry... but was hoping for your opinion on whether this mystery chick could be a wheaten marans??

Not a Wheaten Marans. Looks like a red chicken (Production Red, Rhode Island Red, Cinnamon Queen, or whatever else the breeder/hatchery calls their strain). Marans should have white/pink shanks that are feathered.

Back
Top Bottom