Sexing Wheaten Marans

Selena

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Port Orchard, WA
Can you sex Wheaten Marans chicks? I've got 3 chicks and two are a buttery yellow, and the third looks more like light caramel. They are 3 days old (Friday the 13th hatching!). The one that's caramel has darker wings too. It was the first hatching and I immediately noticed it's black feathering to my husband on hatching day.

Last edited:
You will know for sure by two weeks. The pullets have straw colored wing feathers. The roos will have alot more black that comes in there wings. On the pullets the feathers between the wings on the back will be straw colored the roos will be dark. All I hatch are wheatons and bcs so have to sex them all the time and some pullets are hatched with some black on the wings. By two weeks you can be pretty sure what is what.

12325_dsc06591.jpg

The "Caramel" one. Was the first hatched, and we immediately noticed the wing. (That's how I can recall it's being first born)

12325_dsc06600.jpg

The lightest one.

12325_dsc06609.jpg

The third one looks like the lighter one, except has more toffee coloring in it's wing.

I was searching the website and saw this post you made. I purchased 1 wheaten maran possible a blue wheaten. I am concerned this bird is a roo... what do you think? She started off with very very pale wing feathers. now she is more upright standing the the rest of my chicks and her/his feathers are getting darker. I would really appreciate your opinion. I'm going to be so upset if my chick turns out to be a roo.... I can't keep roo's due to zoning and I adore this chick. It is the one I'm holding in my avatar photo, it was a week old in that picture. In the picture below she is aprox 3 weeks 2 days old. Thank you for the consideration and time!!!
Anne

Gotta jump in here and say I'd honestly if I were you question your chicks' down color. All Wheatens should be the same yellow shade, no reddish or orange going on. (the down/fluff color)

A few weeks in, by the time their wings are out and tail is coming in, especially once they've got tiny little shoulder feathers, you should sex them by the amount of black. More black and dark brown - male. Less black, more light brown - female.

Once its breast feathers come in things are more obvious. Black or dark brown, reddish colors are male. White and creamy brown are female.

ahaha, just noticed this thread is yeaars old

Last edited:
I'm new to the site, and chickens. I recently got 7 wheaten maran chicks, and they are 2 weeks old now. Can anyone help me out in determining if this looks like a roo or not?

Back
Top Bottom