Sexing White cortnix quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by whitecra, Oct 29, 2008.

1. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    How do you tell the sex of a white cortnix quail? I have 1 white one that is 5 weeks old. Thanks
    Chris

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Size can play a role, but also you can wait another week, and put the bird in the palm of your hand upside down, seek out the vent area of the bird, and above the vent lightly pinch (not a pinch as in pinch to hurt just a thumb and pionter finger pressure to express the top of the vent area) if a white foamy (almost spit like substance) comes bubbling out of the vent its' a male. It's not sperm, it's a sort of lubrication that aides in the sperm going to the hen. Coturnix that i know of are the only quail you can do this to.....if theres more i didnt' know about them. [​IMG]

ORyou can wait unti spring for it to call or not. [​IMG]

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Most the times Males are smaller than females.

4. whitecra

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks. If size I would say it is a female. She is bigger then some of them. You see I am asking because I am getting rid of some and if she is a she then I know to keep a he but if not then I need a she. Did that make any since? She/ he is pretty. Sold white except for a small black spot on top of the head.
    Chris

5. whitecra

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Size can play a role, but also you can wait another week, and put the bird in the palm of your hand upside down, seek out the vent area of the bird, and above the vent lightly pinch (not a pinch as in pinch to hurt just a thumb and pionter finger pressure to express the top of the vent area) if a white foamy (almost spit like substance) comes bubbling out of the vent its' a male. It's not sperm, it's a sort of lubrication that aides in the sperm going to the hen. Coturnix that i know of are the only quail you can do this to.....if theres more i didnt' know about them. [​IMG]

ORyou can wait unti spring for it to call or not. [​IMG]

Thanks
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by