Sexing wyandottes

Mrs Hutcherson

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Burnt chimney, Virginia
Does anyone have any tips for sexing chicks?
I found someone selling blue laced red wyandotte chicks, straight run, and I am new to this, looking for advice on choosing pullets. :/
Please and thank you for any and all help!

Well here are some easy tips I like to give and use.
1. Look at the comb and waddles, if the comb and waddles are big then that is a hint it is a cockerel or rooster.
2. Look at its feathering, cockerels often feather in slower then pullets. And if it is a full grown rooster then the tail is a big hint too. Long beautiful tail is a sign its a rooster small tail is a sign its a pullet.

It just takes time and practice my friend!
Hen!

Roo!

Hopefully you can tell the difference now! :)

How about a day or 2.old? I'm waiting on them to hatch, the person selling them is supposed to let me know when, and its straight run. Im getting 4 or 5, im fine with one roo, but really need pullets....:/
Any advice?

paint their coop blue and you will end up with all pullets. (sorry I couldn't help myself)
I was wanting the same thing as you when I got our chicks back in October. I kept
staring at them daily trying to figure out who was growing what, when. It got a little
dicy for a while with a couple of people telling me I had 2 possible roos out of the 3
chicks. Right away I panicked and had to find them back up homes because I
can't have roosters and they are my pets.

Long story short, I ended up with 3 mutts who are all girls. Lots of worrying for
nothing. I would create a back up plan in the event you have roosters and
trust the universe to provide you exactly what you are intending to bring into
your life. ENjoy!

How about a day or 2.old? I'm waiting on them to hatch, the person selling them is supposed to let me know when, and its straight run. Im getting 4 or 5, im fine with one roo, but really need pullets....
hmm.png

Any advice?
You know, with 60 chicks of various breeds and all I really need is about 12 of them to be pullets and three of my friends need another 20 of them to be pullets... I'm thinking very strongly about learning how to vent sex. :-S (cockerels will be raised and processed for food)

Back
Top Bottom