1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sexing wyandottes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrs Hutcherson, May 19, 2013.

1. Mrs Hutcherson

Mrs Hutcherson Chirping

Mar 19, 2013
    Burnt chimney, Virginia
    Does anyone have any tips for sexing chicks?
    I found someone selling blue laced red wyandotte chicks, straight run, and I am new to this, looking for advice on choosing pullets. :/
    Please and thank you for any and all help!

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Songster

I'd like to know this, too, as I hatched 4 BLRW and at 2 weeks old I still can't tell a difference!

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Well here are some easy tips I like to give and use.
    1. Look at the comb and waddles, if the comb and waddles are big then that is a hint it is a cockerel or rooster.
    2. Look at its feathering, cockerels often feather in slower then pullets. And if it is a full grown rooster then the tail is a big hint too. Long beautiful tail is a sign its a rooster small tail is a sign its a pullet.

It just takes time and practice my friend!
    Hen!
    [​IMG]
    Roo!
    [​IMG]

Hopefully you can tell the difference now! :)

4. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Songster

My 4 are all feathering at the same rate and at 2 weeks have no comb or wattles to speak of. At about what age can you begin to see differences in pullets and cockerels as far as comb and wattles?

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Sometimes at 4 weeks, other times 8 weeks!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mrs Hutcherson

Mrs Hutcherson Chirping

Mar 19, 2013
    Burnt chimney, Virginia
    How about a day or 2.old? I'm waiting on them to hatch, the person selling them is supposed to let me know when, and its straight run. Im getting 4 or 5, im fine with one roo, but really need pullets....:/
    Any advice?

7. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Songster

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    paint their coop blue and you will end up with all pullets. (sorry I couldn't help myself)
    I was wanting the same thing as you when I got our chicks back in October. I kept
    staring at them daily trying to figure out who was growing what, when. It got a little
    dicy for a while with a couple of people telling me I had 2 possible roos out of the 3
    chicks. Right away I panicked and had to find them back up homes because I
    can't have roosters and they are my pets.

Long story short, I ended up with 3 mutts who are all girls. Lots of worrying for
    nothing. I would create a back up plan in the event you have roosters and
    trust the universe to provide you exactly what you are intending to bring into
    your life. ENjoy!

8. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Songster

You know, with 60 chicks of various breeds and all I really need is about 12 of them to be pullets and three of my friends need another 20 of them to be pullets... I'm thinking very strongly about learning how to vent sex. :-S (cockerels will be raised and processed for food)

9. Mrs Hutcherson

Mrs Hutcherson Chirping

Mar 19, 2013
    Burnt chimney, Virginia
    How reliable is feather sexing?

10. KinkyMKD

KinkyMKD In the Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Not much i think.As far as i know,wyandottes are not sex-linked

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: