1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing young baby chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bossynbella, Sep 30, 2007.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I am very new to the whole chicken thing. We hatched out 13 chicks this fall and I noticed something. When our last batch hatched out they already had little combs, not much but some when I looked back at the 7 day older chicks I noticed that 1 had the combs and 3 didn't. The older 4 where a little diff as two are half silky but still there was still 2 def combs and 2 no combs what so ever. So I assumed that meant combs= roo's
    Now that they are a little older the yougest ones 4 roos and one hen ( I think) fight like our older roosters already however I noticed that one has a much darker comb and such then the other three supposed roos. The other one is part silky and still has no comb.

I hope this makes some since I guess my ? is do the combs and no combs mean anything or does it not matter???

Im going to try to get some pics to show soon

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you have different breeds or mixes in there, they probably have different types of combs which means you wont be able to make any heads or tails with gender till they start turning pink.

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    [​IMG] So yes I was wrong last night one of my supposed Hens started crowing! He has a much redder comb area though he has no comb yet. So perhaps its more the color they are about 2 mths old. Is there any way to tell at this age? or is it still just guessing???

Thanks
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by