sexing young chanteclers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lkm24, Jun 29, 2008.

1. lkm24

lkm24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Hi there! We have 14 three-week-old partridge chantecler chicks from Ideal Poultry. We asked for 12 females and two males.

Now that they're partly feathered, we keep looking for signs of who (if anyone) is the rooster. Does anyone have clues for things to look for with this breed? We're a little concerned, since everyone's feathers are coming out in the same beautiful brown - and if we have no roosters, we'll want to try to get at least one before hatcheries sell out for the season.

Also: I wrote in to the forum in March after losing an entire batch of chicks except one. I'd ordered too soon and not kept the chicks warm enough (next time, I won't order before May). Everyone on the forum was so helpful and kind. It really helped! And I'm very glad to have a healthy new batch with 100% surviving- so far!

Thanks so much!

Laura

2. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    I would assume at 14 weeks old, you would have some signs of combs and wattles coming in. I don't have or have been around this breed, but all the different breeds I do have show apearance of comb and/or wattles by 8-12 weeks of age. I guess if nothing else fails, if you did get the two boys you requested, you should start to hear the beginnings of crowing in a couple of weeks or so.

3. hwerner

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    Sorry, I transposed the numbers, thought I read 3 at 14 weeks old. Give them about another month or so and you should be able to tell. Sorry for the mixup on my end.

4. lkm24

lkm24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    I hadn't realized it took that long - so we'll sit tight.

Does the feathering process go in stages? They are feathering up pretty uniformly now - and it's hard to see how the cocks (if there are any) are going to acquire those differently colored tail feathers, etc. Maybe the rooster coloring comes in later.

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

Laura

5. hwerner

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    On the feathering time, what I've noticed with my own is that the boys tail feathers usually take a bit longer to come in. I have several cocks and hens. And of my purebreds like the barred rocks, they have identical coloring, the only difference with them from the hens is the combs, wattles, and size, also the tail feathers are longer along with the feathers on thighs, (think they are called saddle feathers, can't remember though). I have some 10 and twelve week old chicks now, and are just starting to crow, however, they have had the prominate combs and wattles since about 7-8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by