sexing young chicks by behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flowerchicks, Jul 23, 2011.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I have 3 week old chicks, all have different moms, ones dcuccle, ones silkie/Cochin and ones BC marans. All have silkie daddies. I am hoping and praying [​IMG] they are all girls, but I know the odds are not in my favor. Has anyone had any luck in sexing young chicks by their behavior? At what age does the rooish stance and attitude start to kick in? I want to avoid getting too attatched to a future rooster who must go.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It's very hard to tell by personalities. My rooster, which isn't a silkie, started acting "roo-ish" at about 9 weeks. For you, you may not know until they start crowing. [​IMG]

I suppose the roosters may spar with each other more than the hens, but even that may not be conclusive.

Size can be a factor, too.

Here's hoping you have all hens [​IMG]

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I agree with Blue Myst. My 21 week olds turned out to be all pullets (bought them sexed) but there were times when I was sure that one or more of them were roos based on their behavior. What I have noticed is that some chicks will go through aggressive "phases" but their behavior often doesn't last. On the other hand, my one Turken rooster, who is a total cream puff, finally crowed the other day and ended my "is he or isn't he" discussion with my husband. [​IMG]

4. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    just gonna have to wait

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are a little to young to tell yet. Here are some of my 6 week olds. This hatch was about 50/50.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I suspected I had a cockerel at 3 weeks and knew at 4 but it was based on comb and coloration, not behavior or stance or rate of feathering. My bossy chicks were all pullets. The one thing he did do that makes me wonder in hindsight was that he'd notice and peep and peep if another chick was out of sight.

7. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Just don't get attached to any of them, and you'll be all set! [​IMG]
    I've had sexed pullets that I was convinced were roosters by their behavior, but ended out being hens, so really there is nothing to do but wait (and speculate a lot, which really serves no purpose except to keep you busy while you wait).

This spring, I got 3 sexed female day-old chicks from the feed store, and as I put them into the brooder, one of them felt giant and very strong. It did turn out to be a rooster, so sometimes your hunch is correct (at least 50% of the time!).

8. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

It is always annoying trying to figure out if it's a she or a he! The roosters are usually more bold and have redder skinned. After having chickens for quite a while you can tell if it's a rooster or a hen. Lucky for me I have never had a non-bearded silkie hen born to my flock so if doesn't have a beard it's a guy (funny sounding huh)! When chickens are about 4 weeks old they start "rooster dancing" (two roosters putting there heads low to the ground, bobbing them up and down and pecking at each other). But most of the time patience pays off best....[​IMG]

9. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Thanks for the input everyone. I figured waiting it out was the only option, but I was hoping.... I got so attached to last years chick (only had one) and he turned roo on me. I gave him away a couple months ago and I found out 2 weeks ago he was killed with all the other chickens by preditors. I already have 2 roos, not supossed to have any, so any cockerels have to go. Probably to the same place because I don't know anybody else who will take them. !

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My neighbor has a little cockerel in her flock. It was quite apparent he was a roo by his behavior. He took on the roo role only being a couple weeks old. I hope he is a nice boy when he is grown with his full hormones. I have my doubts though, so we will see. He bites if you get too close.[​IMG]. He's a 12 week old barred rock picked from the pullet bin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by