1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing young OEGB?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vasher, Apr 8, 2016.

1. vasher

vasher Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2015
    Seattle
    It's an off-chance, but I read recently that certain color varieties of OEG have "chipmunk" colored chicks that can be sexed from hatch. These are 2.5 week old crele chicks that we purchased straight run and both have the same stripy markings, but one chick is a darker black/brown and the other is grayer/brown.

Chick 1 (lighter):

[​IMG]

Chick 2 (darker, maybe more developed feathers):

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Guesses? Wait longer?[​IMG]

2. WildHens

WildHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    I'm zero help on what you're asking..hoping someone more knowledgeable posts because I just logged in looking for similar info..I just hatched out a bunch of Phoenix and OEG bantams and both breeds are chipmunk patterned so have no clue how to tell the breeds apart.. I just bought the eggs and they were all mixed together..lol..so may be a waiting game on my end as well :\
    But congrats on your babies ♡ They're adorable

3. vasher

vasher Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2015
    Seattle
    Thanks, they are sooo cute! Zipping around like little bumblebees. These are our first bantams. The local places only sell straight runs, so we're really hoping for pullets, but have backup plan if one/both turns out to be a rooster. Trying to not get too attached until.

4. WildHens

WildHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few of my lil ones..few still hatching out, but they're adorable. .the little leghorn in the bottom pic has already perfected 'her' stink eye..

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  5. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    I've read you can tell by the color of their "eyeliner". Supposedly pullets are darker. But I cannot comfirm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by