Sexing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heatherledet, Feb 22, 2016.

1. heatherledet

heatherledet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7267870/width/200/height/400[/IMG

Any tips on telling sex?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The picture isn't showing up.

3. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    Is this your pic?

[​IMG]

4. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    Yes that's the pic

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Too early to tell

6. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It is to early to be able to tell what sex they are. Maybe try adding pictures when they are 2-4 weeks old...Sorry they are just too young. What breeds are they? And were you asking what sex they are, or just tips on how to sex chicks?

7. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    Tips in general. Not sure of breeds, they are mixed bantams

8. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    A roosters comb should start to get much larger and pinker than the hens. A rooster will also be bigger. He will start to get pointy and translucent feathers on his neck(hackle feathers) and the feathers inbetween his back and tail feathers(saddle feathers). His feet and legs normally be larger than the hens, and his tail will either take longer to come in and be ugly til he is mature(mine always had ugly and scraggly tail feathers until he started to crow and mate hens.) or it will be curved downward and have two feathers longer than the others. His back feathers will also start to get translucent. I saw that more in my two red roosters(one is a RIR and the other is a RIR x GLW) than my barred, blue, or gold birchen roosters, but I'm sure all 7 have translucent back feathers.

So yeah. I'm kind of new at this as well(only had chickens for 2 years) but those are some things I use to sex when they are older. As young chicks(two weeks to two months) I just look at comb development. I have a funny story. The first time I let my hen hatch chicks, I had been comparing combs like mad, trying to figure out which one was a rooster(because I was almost positive I would get at least one rooster from 5 eggs) but it turned out they were all hens.

1 person likes this.
  9. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    I'll have to get a picture of Oreo, which is the other one I believe to be a roo. They are both way larger in comparison to the others and stand very tall. They are also less frightened. Some my be pure but I'm not sure which ones. A friend collected eggs from his coops and hatched them for us. We have 12 chicks, a Golden phenoix, a LRH and a grey American hen, 3 bb red o.e.bantam pullets and a cockerel which I believe to be spangled o.e. bantam and a baby mixed game fowl hen. The game birds are in a large coop and we are making a tractor for the chicks, the bantams free range and have a smaller coop. We just started out about a month and a half. And we have 5 more bantams eggs incubating which should hatch the 4th. I thought I was a dog person turns out I'm a chicken person lol [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by