Sexing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie_in_PA, May 19, 2008.

1. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    HOW do you "sex" a peep ? Just curious because when we get our 78 peeps in June - alot of them will be sold to family members that want some now. But we want to keep alot of hens for laying ... so I would hate to sell them off to people, and then US only end up with a pile of roosters !!! :|

So CAN I sex the peeps ??

2. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    What kind of chicks are they?

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  3. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Hybrid - White Rock x Rhode Island Red

I'm a "hands on learner" ... I need someone to show me hands on, but if that isn't possible- pictures with explanations are the next best thing. I've researched "sexing chickens" and got all kinds of information about it - but no pictures (sigh).
    Does anyone have pictures that you could show me to describe how to do it ?? Or if anyone's near my location (Somerset County PA) that could COME show me with my peeps when they arrive ?

4. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    Boy are you gonna have fun, There was a section on sexing chicks I am not sure where it is now though.... I am sure someone with more experience will help soon...

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here is a link to a thread with some pics of my chicks at almost 5 weeks old.
    You can see that the males have the darker combs. Their legs are thicker and sturdier. Across the tail end of their backs the male's feathers come to more of a point than the hens. In younger chicks, you may notice that the wing bows (shoulders) of the roos are not feathered out as well as on the hens. Hope this helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=53754

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by