Sexing!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dbc, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Dbc

Dbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    I was looking on youtube about chicks! There is a video from how its made on how to sex baby chicks! And when i ahd chicks it really did work!

2. wat is the method?

3. richchicks

richchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    can you post the youtube link?

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    There are a LOT of videos about sexing chicks on YouTube... Which one? 0.o

5. bestpractice

bestpractice Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011

The video above gives credibility to the video below (for the skeptics, like me, in the crowd). The video below is VERY good -- short, fast, easy, clear and simple steps.

And if you absolutely feel you want to "vent sex" your chicks, you can do that too. It isn't as easy, and it's yucky. If you have bantams this is how ---

And for picking eggs that statistically have more pullets, than roosters... (I like being able to count my chickens before they are hatched [​IMG])

http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/buying-fertilized-chicken-eggs-zmaz74zhol.aspx

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

is it the how its made one where they look at the wings and tell male and female then toss the chicks into seprate sections?? if so it just feather sexing

7. bestpractice

bestpractice Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Yes, that's the how it's made video. It looks like it -- without watching it again I'm thinking they said it was "Cackle Hatchery"??? I'll have to watch it again cuz the memory is fading [​IMG] I believe most large operations feather sex if possible. It is quick, and easy to train people so it reduces overhead costs. Vent sexing takes a little practice, but I think you can do it if you spend some time at it. I don't like doing it because of all the poo, hehehe. Probably why many people think it's hard. Getting past all the poo is the hard part, hehehe.

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

feather sexing is easyer and cleaner than vent sexing. but its not always accurate. thats why sometimes when u order sexed chicks and dnt get packing peanuts u get on or two differnt genders. i feather sex all my chicks at hatch but it isnt always right. some chickens cant be feather sexed.

9. richchicks

richchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    Yes, I see there are many. I actually found an episode of that on Dirty Jobs show. That host is hilarious. I tried my hand at sexing my chicks thru the venting method....we will see how good I was in a few weeks......[​IMG]

10. DirtLaneFarm

DirtLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    I found the video of the feather sexing rather disturbing. What happens to the roos? Would have liked to have seen egg production facility too. Naive, I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by