Sexing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horsechick48, Nov 10, 2014.

1. horsechick48

horsechick48 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    I have heard about wing sexing day old chicks. Does anyone know if this works with orpingtons?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Yes it does. Just like other breeds, males will have wing feathers which are all the same in length. While females' are all different lengths.

3. horsechick48

Sep 29, 2014
    Awesome! Good to know!

4. David1998

David1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    It worked for me on my group of 5 from the hatchery. 4 had different length wing feathers and feathered faster. They turned out to be pullets. 1 had all same length wing feathers and feathered slowly. He turned out to be rooster.

5. horsechick48

Sep 29, 2014
    Do you know if it only works on day olds or can they be a little older also?

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Actual wing feather sexing is a process that requires selective breeding using a slow feather breed and a fast feathering breed so that the chicks of each gender inherit the specific genes necessary to make the process work. This means that it does not actually apply to pure bred birds as it requires cross breeding.
    What is being discussed here is another of the "old wives tales" ways to sex chicks which, as noted, can/does work but stands a 50/50 chance of being right/wrong. If you think about it, if this were truly as effective as claimed and worked on all breeds there would be no reason for hatcheries to use vent sexing. If wing sexing were truly accurate and able to be applied to all breeds the hatcheries would use this much easier and much less invasive method and the error rate of sexing would be all but eliminated.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you read the first post on this thread it tells you how the sex linked characteristics work, including feather-sexing. The parents have to be set up right genetically for it to work.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

The father has to have the recessive fast-feathering gene which he gives to all his offspring. The mother has to have the dominant slow-feathering gene which she only gives to her sons. Since it is a sex linked gene she does not give that dominant gene to her daughters. So her daughters feather out rapidly and her sons feather out slowly because of the genes they get from their parents. It’s the same concept used for red sex links and black sex links. If the parents are set up right it works.

It only works for one generation. After that the genes are not set up right so it won’t work. Unless you know that the parents were set up for this to work, don’t count on it working.

1 person likes this.
  8. horsechick48

Sep 29, 2014
    Good to know. Thank you everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by