Sexlink Q's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmerChef, Jan 23, 2011.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I know certain sexlinks have names, like RedStar or Gold Comet, but to you have to have certain breeds to make sexlinks, or can you just have certain colors? What colors/breeds can you breed to make sexlinks? What colors will the chicks be? Will the color of the offspring be opposite from the parents? Red rooster + White hen = red hens and white roos?

I have a barred hen, will any roo I breed to her make sexlinks?what color would the chicks be?

Thanks

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
  3. Staceyfeindt

Staceyfeindt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Not sure on all your questions but I do know, from reading, that when you beed sex links together you DO NOT get sexlink-able chicks! So beware! They won't be able to be sex by color like the parents were.

4. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Adding onto the last persons post: One of my black sex links went missing (and broody). Our roosters at the time were also sex link. She had some pretty neat chicks, 6 blacks and 4 whites. They are now 10 weeks old and the whites look almost like a barred rock. The blacks look similar to her, but have some reddish coloring in with their black. We lucked out and had 10 hens.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    SunnyChooks link is taken from Tadkerson's page on BYC, and is the #1 most informative thing I have found on making sexlinks. Here's the BYC link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

If
    you have any questions after reading this, please let me know! [​IMG]

You don't need certain breeds per se, but you do need certain colors. White is a rather complicated color, because it can be masking barring, black, etc.

You can cross just about any non-white non-barred rooster with a barred hen and make sexlinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by