Sexlink question please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Youtjatoor, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Youtjatoor

Youtjatoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    Hello all.
    so Ive been trying to understand this sexlinking thing and the more i read the more confused i get. so it turns out i bought 6 straight run EE's and 5! are cockerels......

Im keeping 1.

so heres my exact question.

1.if i cross my EE rooster with a barred rock hen, how should the chicks come out to identify males and females by sight.

2. I also have ISA browns too that ill incubate. so same question as above.

and thats it for now i think.

Thank you in advance.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Okay....

If your EE rooster is not white, and not barred himself, chicks should be pretty easy to sex at hatch. Males will have a white spot on the head, females will have a solid dark head. Males will have the white underbelly, females are usually (but not always) dark all over. As they feather in, males will be barred (striped) like momma's coloring. Females will be solid dark/black, and get some red or silver leakage as they mature.

Sex linkage is a one time deal, good for the first generation only. So, setting eggs from your ISA browns (themselves a sex link) will not give you sex linked chicks at all, sorry. If you're putting your ISA browns under the EE rooster, you have good chances of getting pullets that lay green eggs, depending on the rooster's genetics. Color will vary quite a bit, depending on the rooster's coloring.

Here's a wonderful, good basic post about the common forms of sex linkage. The thread itself is massive, but most of the good info is right there on the first post. I refer to it all the time, even after all these years [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

3. Youtjatoor

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    Well. His chest is white. So that's means it'll be hard to tell them apart?

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you post a pic of him?

5. Youtjatoor

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    Sure! He's still a youngin but we have 5 to choose from and we're gonna keep him. He's the smartest and has displayed good rooster behavior watching over his girls and being a good protector.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well...honestly, I'm not sure [​IMG]. I"m just going to do some thinking out loud, and it may be a bit technical, so bear with me.

the reason you're not advised to use a white rooster is the nature of dominant white. dominant white basically acts like an off switch for black, turning it into white. So, genetically the bird can be black, but it's hidden by the dominant white gene. Does that make sense? Example, some white Rocks actually carry barring, like a barred Rock. But, they have dominant white, so all that black is turned into white, so the bird is visually all white. However, if you breed it to a non-white bird, you lose the dominant white and surprise! A black chick pops out and everyone wonders where it came from.

But, your bird has both black and white, so it's not dominant white, or all the black would be white, see what I mean? So, it must be silver, not white, that's showing on him. According to the sex linked chart, you can use a silver rooster over a black barred hen, so I think you should be okay.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] brain overload

8. Youtjatoor

Mar 7, 2017
    Fuquay-Varina NC
    I do get it, thank you so much for taking the time out to explain it, so I'm going to go ahead and stick with him and see what we get, again thank you so much that really cleared up a lot for me,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by