Sexlink Question

Cocky

Songster
12 Years
Nov 15, 2007
Georgetown, SC
Are sexlinks more prone to become canabilistic?

Are they more aggresive?

I think I already know the answer, but would like to know your opinions and experiences. Thanks!

From my experience, sexlinks are just like any other bird in that each bird has their own personality and for the most part, mine are calm. However it does depend on the bird it'self and the lines in which it originated from. I don't think they are any different than your run in the mill RIR, except they are a cross.

Crowded conditions in which many sexlinks and leghorns are raised for commercial conditions will make pecking and aggression a problem for any breed.

okay, I was wondering b/c I have 5 sexlinks who are in a pen with my 2 ameracuanas and 2 jersey BG

the two that are top of the pecking order are #1 a red sexlink and #2 a black sexlink (dethroned by the red)

They have been bullying our two ameracuanas and pecking their feathers off. They did it until they drey blood from one and are now trying to eat the one who has a small sore on her back

this has just started in the past week or two and we have had the birds all in one pen for almost a year now

We have now taken the two bullies out and may have to take our ameracunas out if the other chickens pick on them too (now that they are hurt)

I had heard the sexlinks were prone to cannabalism and was wondering if it was starting to show. any advice?

By the way their pen is 20 foot by 10 foot for 10 chickens(I don think they are) cramped)

Last edited:
it may well depend on the particular line of sexlinks. I've actually heard that many are *less* aggressive and stand crowding *better*, which if you think about it makes sense considering what they're bred for.

It may well be just an individual thing. And there are other people on this forum whose EE's ("Ameraucanas", in the general sense) pick on their sexlinks and other chickens. Chickens. What can you do ;P

Good luck with them though,

Pat

As long as you have two or more chickens, one is always going ot be bullied. How old are they? They may still be working out the order.

Also, nothing beats pecking like keeping them entertained. Throw a head of lettuce in there everyday or some peanuts. They're probably bored.

Oh, and if the one does have an open sore. The others will peck her to death. You need to separate her until it scabs over. Apply a topical antibiotic if you feel the urge.

My guess is bordom. A 200 sq foot pen that is bare will be alot more boring than a 100 sq foot pen with lots of goodies to turn over and stuff to jump on, poo on, tear apart, and destroy. Cabbage heads, treats, stuff for them to do may help with the problem. However, if it started with pecking of feathers out, check for vitamin or protein defficenicey in their feed. Using a layer supplement in the winter months or feeding black sunflower seeds may help if it is nutritional.

I have 5 red stars and 11 EE in a 16 x 8 pen and we do not have a pecking problem. We actually never have. The red stars seem very easy going. If anything, some of the EEs are a little more bossy than I like!

Back
Top Bottom