sexlink vs. leghorn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by questions543, Jun 1, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    Every time I've asked I have not received an answer so I ask again... Which breed on AVERAGE lays for the longest out of these two. At the momment I am leaning towards leghorns.

thanks

2. The problem in giving a "straight" answer is that it is just plain tough, based on all the possible variable.

99% of the commercial pullets hatched, whether a white egg Leghorn, a leghorn derivative, or one of the plethora of brown egg sex links (there are countless models of these) which are spawn of the huge poultry genetics industry, as tailor made to function in an optimal way for the laying/table egg industry. This means quick feathering, fast maturing, great feed conversion, early onset of laying, high production, thrift, and are generally turned over in one laying season or moulted and allowed an additional laying season. Longevity isn't even considered important.

Given the huge number of strains of Leghorns available and the dozens and dozens of sexlink strains available, making generalizations is difficult for me to hazard a decent guess. A heritage Leghorn? Now, that would be something different altogether to consider.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Leghorns. We have a small flock of whites and browns and the browns actually out-lay the whites on average. And they lay white eggs whereas the sex-links lay brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: