Sexlinked muscovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by conny63malies, Jun 15, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250258186317&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
    I
    just won those eggs on ebay. I never heard of sexlinked muscovies before, have you?
    I looked at a few webpages and read somewhere that the black is replaced by brown blah,blah , blah and recessive gen. So if i cross a sexlinked female to a regular male of minesome geyish/brown pied or bipped) would they still be sexlinked, also what would happen th other way around?
    the price was just too good to pass up, only 10.50$ for 12+ eggs.
    Ahh i am loosing my mind!! I am tired and i drank too much coffee and now i cant sleep.
    Oh and sorry if i bit higher than you ,i needed them, really.

Brenda could you post apic of your duckies to show the color, i dont even have a clue what the coloration is called.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I have never heard of this sort of sex-linked gene in ducks before. The easiest way to get sex-linked ducklings is by crossing a brown drake with a black hen. The males then turn out black and the females turn out brown.

Just like with chickens, this is a one-shot deal, since the male has to be brown and the female black and the offspring come out the opposite of that.

You're right, though, the price is great. Plus I prefer muscovies with less prominant caruncles like he says his are. Good luck with them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by