sexlinked olive eggers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yogabbagirl, Sep 6, 2016.

1. yogabbagirl

yogabbagirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    Memphis, Tn
    Hi guys and gals! I think that my olive egger couple are producing sexlinked offspring. So far there have been 6 chicks. Males are black with gold and females are buff color. Is this normal? One of the original parents was an Americauna but i do not know what it was bred with. Any thoughts?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you take and post photos of the parent birds? Without knowing the parentage of the parent birds and without being able to see them to determine the color genetics they may be carrying there is no way to answer whether what you are noting is true sex linking or just a coincidence.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Doesn't sound sex linked at all.

There are two basic forms of sex linkage.....

Red sex links are a red rooster over a silver hen. males are silver, females red/gold.

Black (or barred) sex links are a non-barred rooster over a barred hen. Males are barred, females are not.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Agree. Sounds like you may have something Wheaten. Wheaten birds are not sex linked, but males and females do mature to different colors.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by