Sexlinks From Standard Bred Birds?

Mosey2003

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2016
North-Central IL
I don't know why it's been bouncing around my head, but I've always been curious... Does anyone that breeds to the SOP ever do a sexlink cross here or there? I wonder how they would measure up to the hatchery models. Like, I have Barred Rocks. Wondering if, someday down the line, I picked up a nice NH cock I could hatch a few Blacks and see if the males dress out nicer and have nice, big females for the laying flock.

I kinda doubt anyone does, but just thought I'd ask :confused:

I hatched out a chick, that may have been a sex link. I'm not sure. The mother was a BR, and the father was a mixed red breed. He basically has the same coloring as a NHR......anyway, it looks like a sex link, barred, and it was black with a white dot when a chick. Obvious male by 2 weeks.

There is one breeder close to me who does cross a RIR rooster over Barred Rock hens because she says the pullets sell REALLY well. She sells them as fast as she can hatch them, and it helps cover some of her costs. They don't lay as well as the production versions from hatcheries, BUT they don't have reproductive issues that the hatchery versions have. I assume she either sells the boys for meat or raises them for herself, but I didn't ask so I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure she told me she was using some she would have culled to make these, so they probably aren't true exhibition quality birds.

The proper cross for the black sexlinks (Black Stars, they're marketed as) is a NH over Barred Rock, and I've heard that RIR just doesn't nick quite as well, for whatever reason. I think I'd just like to see them out of quality stock.

Back
Top Bottom