1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexlinks.... humph

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raymondjames, Oct 14, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    I have seen sexlinks and was wondering how they worked like inside the egg? (like embryo development)... it just bamboozles (haha) me that they can just be a diff. color with just gender. Kinda if like all men were born covered with fur and women werent [​IMG]
    sorry if i put this in wrong section but couldnt find one named "embryo development" [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Certain colors are linked to the sexes in a certain way. That's the simplest way to put it. The color does not determine the sex, the sex determines the color. Bird genetics is not the same as human genetics. I'm not sure what you mean by inside the egg/embryo? They are no different than any other chick.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
  4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Chicken genetics are not the same as human genetics, but still I imagine sex link colouring works in roughly the same way as illnesses/diseases that are specific to men and women. Like, say, Duchenne muscular dystrophy only affecting boys because the gene that causes it is on the Y chromosome. Women's chromosomes are XX and men's are XY, so it's just not possible for women to get it cause they don't have any Y chromosomes. Surely the chicken colour thing must be broadly similar.

5. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by