Sexlinks

Welcome to BYC!
Generally speaking, Sex Links are a great choice for a laying flock -- the primary advantage is that there are no risks of accidental/unwanted males when selecting chicks. The expected production of the birds will depend on the parentage used for the cross -- high production breed (ie those selected by commercial hatcheries to produce their sex links) based crosses will have corresponding production - however, sex links that are created using less productive breeds will not have a genetic background from which to inherit stellar production rates.

Howdy from Kansas, JoeyMeyer, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Hard to argue with Ol Grey Mare - sex links are a great choice. They go by different names...Red Stars, Black Stars, etc., but they all seem to be great layers with pretty easy going temperaments. Other productive breeds are Black Australorps, Rhode Island Reds...all those mentioned thus far being brown egg layers. Leghorns are tough to beat for productivity with white eggs, plus they don't eat much. Easter Eggers are decent layers of tinted, or greenish eggs. Stop by the Breeds forum here https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
Be prepared, though! You'll want to get so many varieties that you might lose sleep deciding! :D
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

Sexlinks are especially good choice for beginners - because otherwise it is a jungle out there.

Buying "straight run," generally means getting mostly males. Buying from unknown sources can equal males, wrong breeds, mixed breeds, or anything passed off as layers - including hens too old to lay.

Be prepared, though! You'll want to get so many varieties that you might lose sleep deciding!
big_smile.png

Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

SO true -- chicken math strikes early and hard!

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us! I have never raised Sex-links, but I hear they are great! Leghorns are sure hard to beat though! I have one white leghorn, she lays an egg a day and never stops!

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you find the birds you want. The 3 RSL's I used to have were some of my favorites...they were good layers, loads of personality and just all round fun.

Thanks for joining us!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Sex links can be an excellent choice for a beginner! As are many of the common backyard breeds, including Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, New Hampshire Reds, Delawares, Brahmas, Cochins, and Sussex, among many others.

Back
Top Bottom