Sexlinks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gmachicken, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    I got two sexlink chicks. They are now 9 weeks old. One is larger than the other. Should I be expecting it to be a roo?

2. if it is white yes

female sexlinks are red, males are white

thats why they're called sex-links [​IMG]

3. gmachicken

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    So they are black. One, the smaller, has a white dot on her chest and the other has orange coming in around the neck area.
    Are they then not sexlinks? If so what are they?
    Thanks for the help.

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:No if they are sex linked the coloring itself should give away ther gender, not the size [​IMG]

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Those are black star sexlinks, and unless one of them is barred they are both pullets.

eta: black stars are a cross between a barred hen (like a Barred Rock) and a red roo (like a RIR or New Hampshire)

Red sexlinks (called variously red stars, cinnamon queens, and a couple other names) are a cross between a white hen carrying silver genetics and a red roo - the pullets are varying shades of red and the roos are white with various levels of color bleed through

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. Quote:oops! lol, i forgot all about black sex-links! you're a life saver spiritdance!

7. gmachicken

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Thank you folks,
    They are both pullets.
    I feel better that the place I bought them knew what they were talking about!!
    Thank you again.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by