Sexlinks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickfever, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Do all of them lay about the same amt of eggs each year or is one better than the other? I know there are blacks, reds, and golds. What about Isa Browns? Does anyone know how well they do? How do you get one, and do they breed true? Seems like I read somewhere they are the only ones that do.....

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Sex links will not breed true because the males are genetically different than the females. They also carry dominant white which will contribute to the variety of birds that will be produced from the cross. If you want good layers, they should produce good layers. They most likely will not lay like the parents. Hendrix Genetics is the producer of the ISA brown and they go to great lengths to insure the their cross will produce lots of eggs. They have separate lines for producing males and females.

Tim

3. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Here is one of our sexlinks that is called a Black Star

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Black stars are different than the silver/gold sex linked cross. If you cross a Black Star male (they are barred) with a black star female you will get barred or black offspring.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by