Sexually confused hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irf1983, Oct 15, 2009.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    One of my marans, which i am almost positive is a hen, has been occasionally jumping on the other hen's backs like it is mounting them, complete with neck biting. The marans is probably about 5 months old, and while it is large, it has no roo-ish tail feathers, doesn't act like a roo, and has never made a sound close to a crow. Has anyone had any experience with a hen that will "mount" others, or is this a very late blooming rooster?

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Do you have any other roos? Even if you do, it's still perfectly normal behavior (believe it or not [​IMG]) for her to show the other hen who is boss. Of course, a pic of your "hen" would help you clarify if she is really a he. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, in a hen it is a dominance behavior, and many on here have seen it. I had one hen who did it after the flock lost its roo. She did not keep it up longer than a month or two, but she is still the lead hen.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have seen it in hens. Had one hen who was being picked on by the others so turned on her best friend. She jumped right on top of her, biting her neck. It was actually more of an attack than a mating thing. She was rehomed the next day.

5. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    Huh, it's interesting because I took this hen from my mom because her hen's picked it's scalp off. So maybe this is her way of making it clear she's had enough. Thanks to all, I'll try to get a good pic as she is an interseting looking girl anyways, very unique marks. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by