Sexually immature roosters....?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EurekaSouth, Jun 23, 2007.

1. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

We have 25 chicks that are about 2 2/3 months old now. We bought three laying hens for eggs, but after about 4 weeks, one of the hens went broody. Is there any chance the young roosters were old enough for her to lay fertilized eggs?

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, I am not positive, but I think they have to be at least 16 to 18 weeks for maturity. Did you see any rooster "action" going on?

3. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the reply. I saw just a little rooster "action".

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I have heard that hens can release sperm at will and it is not uncommon for hens to lay fertile eggs after being separated from roosters for 2 weeks. A hen can be sitting on golfballs and go broody. Wait awhile and candle the eggs to see if they fertile. If you don't want a broody hen you can collect the eggs and take away nesting material to try and break her.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

For good fertility I would wait for the roosters to be about 5-6 months old. That's when they start getting the mating thing right and not missing the hen.... As for fertility of the hens, I've had mixed chicks hatch out from eggs penned with only their respective mates for a whole month! I had one potent silkie roo there...

6. jlsnyder

jlsnyder New Egg

Jun 26, 2007
    Hi new to this, I'll just jump in with both feet. Well I have a hen that is nesting on some eggs and I do believe its past the 21 days. I have one rooster in the coop . I have seen some action from him in the past . so my question is: Could this rooster be shooting blanks? (Not sure about the chicken /rooster language??? ):

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    jl,
    Have you candled the eggs? If they are totally black inside with just the airsac showing at the large end, then there are chicks inside. Otherwise, no. What is your ratio of hens to the rooster? It's unusual for a rooster to shoot blanks - usually he is just missing the mark due to inexperience or too much feathering down there, etc.

Ellen

8. jlsnyder

jlsnyder New Egg

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks Ellen,
    No I haven't candled them so I'll do that right away. I just have one Rooster and fifteen hens. How many days over 21 do you go before you give up on that egg?

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'd give it at least another 3 days since you aren't really sure if you've gone over day 21. You should know more once you candle. I hope you get some cuties!

Ellen

10. jlsnyder

jlsnyder New Egg

Jun 26, 2007
    thanks
    should I be checking her eggs when the time is near. or should I just expect her to know what to do? She is in a box that is about 2' high. I am worried that the little babies might fall out, Should I move them to a safer place? JS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by