Sexually Mature Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1eyejer, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 1eyejer

1eyejer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    I have a rooster who is VERY sexually mature, will my not so sexually mature hens be ok in with him, he keeps mounting them and they dont like it,,,should i separate them?????

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    He sounds like a teenager he should get better as he matures at least the hens didn't beat him up that could have happened too

3. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have a teen ager too, and he hasn't figured it out yet. The Hen won't squat for him, but will squat when I go in the coop. I don't get it!

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Yeah I have 3 pens of teenagers and the yelling makes me upset but they are working it out the first ones to lay no longer squawk when the rooster looks at them....they lay their eggs and he sings the egg song with them shares his treats now and in general acts like a roo should now the other pens still have the yelling going on I figure the same thing will happen I hope soon [​IMG]

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Quote:haha, that made my day [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Unless he is actually injuring them, they will most likely be okay. They may or may not change their minds when they are "of age." Some hens right out don't like certain roosters, and will not submit to them, which can lead to issues. Or they may accept his leadership and rough advances... If he physically injures them (bloody combs, injuries to the back, etc.), however, I would separate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by