SF bay area-- Wanted: Young rooster for free range

Discussion in 'Chickens 8 Weeks & Older' started by Poop Cleaner, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Poop Cleaner

Poop Cleaner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2015
    California
    If you have a rooster that needs a good home: I am looking for one lucky young rooster to add to my flock of laying hens for a free range situation in rural Half Moon Bay.

This bird will have a long and happy life with lots of ladies if he fits the following criteria:

1) CANNOT be human aggressive.
    2) Must be of a dual purpose heritage breed, preferably: Dominique, Black Australorp, or Rhode Island Red
    3) Older than 20 weeks preferably.

I am happy to pick up the bird from a reasonable distance from Half Moon Bay, and perhaps pay a reasonable amount for the right bird.

Please contact me if interested. Happy holidays.

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I've got a bantam Splash split to Chocolate Orpington cockerel. Visually he is Splash, but carries one recessive copy of the Choc gene. He's a bit big for a bantam, so I won't be using him for breeding. He's never been aggressive towards me.

I can take some pics tomorrow, if you're interested.

3. Poop Cleaner

Dec 13, 2015
    California
    Hello, thank you for your reply. I am sorry, but am not interested in bantams for fear their size makes them vulnerable to predators in a free range situation in a rural area.

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Oh. Well he might not be the right guy then, even if he is a bit too big to be a bantam.

Here's a pic anyways. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

5. Poop Cleaner

Dec 13, 2015
    California
    Very cute.

6. Dirt Farmer

Dirt Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Northern CA
    I have a Colored Dorking cock that is 14 months old. Of my three cocks he is number 3 in the pecking order. He hates to be caught and will struggle if picked up but has not been aggressive. He will hang around for food handouts but stays 3 or 4 feet away. He has the appearance of a Red Dorking. I used him as a breeder a couple months ago to bump up the color in my flock. He was successful, with fairly good fertility and hatchability. I live in Pilot Hill, which I think is about 2 hours from Half Moon Bay. I would be willing to meet up on 50 or 80, as the last 20 minutes is grueling driving for many people. I'll drop you pictures if interested. I'm NPIP CA-339 if it matters to you. [​IMG] This picture is on The Dorking Breeders thread - Page 56, where you can double click on it to get a bigger better view of him.

Add: If you want to spend the time and gas, he's otherwise free.

Add: Just checked Google Maps, closer to 3 hours travel. As I said could shave off 20-30 minutes by meeting at freeway.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  7. Poop Cleaner

Dec 13, 2015
    California
    Thank you. He looks magnificent but unfortunately you are a bit too far from me. I may actually be picking up a rooster this weekso this thread may be closed soon enough. Thank you for all the offers. I appreciate it and am sad that so many roosters need homes.

I wonder if I should start an all rooster flock in a separate area of the ranch.

8. Dirt Farmer

Dirt Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Northern CA
    OK I broke the news to him.

9. Poop Cleaner

Dec 13, 2015
    California

:)

10. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    You can't have an all rooster flock they will kill each other one after another

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by