SG and silkie questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Feb 19, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Ok just hatched some SG eggs but half of the chicks look like silkies. Please help me out a little and tell me if this is correct...

Since I got both silkies and SG from the same set of eggs that would mean that they came from SG bred with silkie right?

now if I keep the SG together will they make just SG or will I still get some silkies?

All the SG have what looks like bow ties (but they are all still in bator so there might be one or 2 with out them) will I need a completely naked necked one to breed if I want some SG with out the bow tie or if I breed SG with bow tie to another SG with bow tie will I get the occasional naked necked SG?

thanks [​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You got 50% silkies because either both parents were heterozygous showgirls and you just got a high percentage of silkies or one parent was a silkie (in which case, all the babies will be heterozygous for the NN gene). If you breed heterozygous showgirls together, you will get approximately 25% homozygous showgilrs, 50% heterozygous showgirls, and 25% silkies.

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok can you explain for a dummy lol I am gonna look up what heterozygous and homozygous means cause I have no idea!!!

3 more are pipping though so if they hatch that will make 9 out of 12 shipped eggs pretty darn good to me!

One white one has a naked back of the neck but what looks like a full beard in the front. I have named it Abraham. Cant wait to open the hatcher tonight/tomorrow morning and hold these little precious guys. I would take Chicks over jewlery any day!!! lol

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    and for your viewing pleasure...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What cute chicks!

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    beautiful babys..

7. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Homozygous means that it is carrying two copies of the gene and heterozygous means it's carrying one copy. If a homozygous bird is bred to a silkie (no NN gene), all the resulting offspirng will be heterozygous. If a hom and a het bird are crossed, f1 will be 50% hom and 50% het. Most het SGs will have a "bowtie" and most hom SGs will have a clean neck.

Nice babies!

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh thank you Lilpeeps I think I get it lol

One just hatched #8 and it has a completely naked neck!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Bow-tied birds are heterozygous (Na,na+); those with completely naked necks are homozygous (Na,Na). Silkies are homozygous for not-naked neck (na+,na+).

(Na,Na) + (na+,na+) = 100% (Na,na+)
    naked + silkie = bow-tie

(Na,Na) + (Na,na+) = 50% (Na,Na) & 50% (Na,na+)
    naked + bow-tie = naked & bowtie

(Na,Na) + (Na,Na) = 100% (Na,Na)
    naked + naked = naked

- - -

(Na,na+) + (na+,na+) = 50% (Na,na+), 50% (na+,na+)
    bow-tie + silkie = bow-tie & silkie

(Na,na+) + (Na,na+) = 25% (Na,Na), 50% (Na,na+), 25% (na+,na+)
    bow-tie + bow-tie = naked, bow-tie & silkie

- - -

(na+,na+) + (na+,na+) = 100% (na+,na+)
    silkie + silkie = silkie

10. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Not all heterozygous SGs will have "bowties" and not all homozygous SGs will be completely clean necked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by