shabby feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by society, Dec 24, 2016.

1. society

society New Egg

Dec 24, 2016
    Hello all, first post, first winter with my flock (7)

Anyway I have an australorp how is looking shabby in the rear, all the other chickens are fine.

Not sure what the problem is, any help would be wonderful.

Merry Christmas to all and happy holidays, thanks!

Ive included some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and welcome to BYC

It looks like she is moulting. How old is she?

Regards

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Appears to be a juvenile molt.........

Add grower to the feed.....Feathers are protein........

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  4. society

society New Egg

Dec 24, 2016
    Great! I was worried! ran to the store and got some DE thinking it might be mites or something.

They are about a year old.

5. chickens really

Boy oh boy......Do not use DE with your Birds.....It is unhealthy for them and for you.......Damages lungs.....Use a mite and lice killer....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  6. society

society New Egg

Dec 24, 2016
    Got any tips for a dust bath in winter? The ground is frozen.

Was going to do sand and DE in a litter box.

Thanks, You guys are a great help!

7. chickens really

yep, just sand...some top soil and wood ash.......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  8. society

society New Egg

Dec 24, 2016
    Hi all, i dont know if its still a molt, can you give me some advice or thoughts, please thanks![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

I'm afraid that is not moulting after all. It's either feather picking or lice I would guess. Have you examined them thoroughly and familiarised yourself with what to look for as regards lice and mites too for that matter although I would expect them to be seriously anaemic by now if mites were the problem. Have you spent some time observing them to see if they are excessively preening, particularly at night on the roost or some of them feather picking others. Did you fix them up with a dust bath? Personally I use DE and have had some success with it. There are conflicting views on it's use though as you have already read. Here in the UK there is a brand name DE called "Smite" specifically sold to target lice and mites in poultry, which I have used a couple of times with success and once when it failed to get on top of a serious infestation of mites, but then it took numerous applications of various products including permethrin to bottom it. I've not had any problems with birds having bald patches like that outside moult though and even then, moult tends to be more neck and back and should be sorted in a couple of months or at least see significant improvement. Yours have got noticeably worse since your post at Christmas.

I'm also concerned that those hens look quite bloated. Those bald abdomens look much rounder than I would expect in a healthy hen, although it may just be the camera angle or a trick of the light. What are you feeding them? I'm thinking diet may well be an issue here with both feather loss and abdominal swelling.

10. society

society New Egg

Dec 24, 2016
    thks for the reply, im feeding them green mountain layer,

after more research im pretty sure they are being picked at by another, most of the breeds have some feather loss except the 2 easter eggers, 1 has none noticeable

investing in some blue koat and some pinless peepers today, and reupping their dust bath just in case

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by