shade cloth question

cjexotic

Cj's Mandarin Ducks
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Central PA
I have never used shade cloth but need to do something to make my coop cooler.
My coop is covered with a very large tarp. its 22 x 40'. It use to come down the sides like a building
but I have opened it up and made make shift windows (cut out tarp) for my pens that are elevated.
I put up guttering to keep the rain from coming in and can close this up with plastic for winter.
My concern now is its all light now (had been kind of dark) but with that the sun makes heat.
So I had gotten the idea to hang shade cloth on the sides. That way I still would have light and less heat.
As I was looking at it (did not know it came in degrees of uv filtering) I have choices and don't know which to get.
I want the pen to have the light it long needed and has now but reduce the suns heat.
I had planned on getting the black but now worried it will make it dark. I could get white that reflects heat but
White will soon become ratty looking. Heck I can not even wear white due to getting dirty so easy. lol
Any suggestion on color or degree of filtering. As I have no clue. Thanks cj

p.s. I have a friend that would give me black so that is why I have the question on if it will make it too dark.

Last edited:
I think you are overthinking this
wink.png

Get the dark stuff (black or green), it works best and is more affordable than the good-quality light-colored stuff.

Get as high a % of shade as you can affordably obtain (I would suggest at least 75%, if possible).

It will be fine
smile.png
Shadecloth is great stuff.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have always used the black shade cloth on my dog runs and it is not to dark at all IMO. That is what I am planning on doing on my run this weekend, cover with wire and then shade cloth.

Always give some space between the shade cloth and the item/area you want to keep cooler.

The same is true when using a tarp. The heat is intense below a tarp for several inches. I prefer a slope (rather than flat) to speed the removal of heat buildup below a tarp. I allow for a minimum 12 inch space below a tarp. Much less required for shade cloth.

43749_im001852.jpg

I used white Lexon Panels over the first 12' of my pen (hope u can see in pic)
its louverd so the rain falls down and it white to let light in and hot out..

oh and it has wire first then the panels... seems to work great...

ohh now I think I miss read... u want it for the sides.... ??!! sorry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom