1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    So I'm building a little chicken run for three pullets out of PBC pipe. I'm must bending the pipes and putting them in the ground, and attaching a shade cloth over them. However, I think one of the pullets will lay soon...will the shade cloth be too....shadey?

Thanks!

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    It is better if they have access to some direct sunlight....a bigger question that I would have with the build of materials you listed; is it going to be predator proof? Not knowing where you're from, weather/winds could cause you additional issues down the road. Just something to think about to keep your young'ns safe if you haven't already.

Good luck with your project. Post pics when you're completed.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I use shade cloth in the summer months for my call duck pen. Their pen is made of dog kennel panels and has a netting over the top to keep out the hawks.

I simply attach the shade cloth over top of netting in summer months, and remove for the winter because of snow load.

If you lock your chickens up at night and the pen is just for daytime use then shade cloth will work. The sunlight can stream in from the sides also.

If you live where it snows then might be a problem in winter. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by