1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Cochin Love

Cochin Love Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2017
    Apalachin, New York
    Hello everyone. I would like to give my babies some added shade and rain protection. Was thinking of using shade fabric and, or canvas tarps. Is one better than the other? Color suggestions? Thanks!

2. ColoRockies

ColoRockies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    Either or would work great. We always use regular tarps but fabric might be less noisy in the wind. Color shouldn't matter. Just make sure they are secured well and have some kind of angle so rain can run off . Good luck

3. rbreininger

rbreininger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    SW Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of my run. Part is covered by a commercial tarp and the other by the one that comes with the kennel as purchased. Both work great to cover the run for shade, the elements and flying predators.

4. ColoRockies

ColoRockies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    Looks great. I really like your coop. Next time I build one I'm gonna do it similar to yours. How many chickens ?

5. rbreininger

Jan 2, 2017
    SW Wyoming
    We have 5 hens. No roosters allowed in our community.

6. rbreininger

Jan 2, 2017
    SW Wyoming
    Look for my post 'Expanded my run - coop is next'.

I have lots of photos of the coop building in progress.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG][​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined our flock! [​IMG][​IMG]

Do you have plans for what you are going to do with the shade fabric when the snow starts flying? Snow can really build up on shade fabric so make sure you have a plan to keep the snow from building up on it whether that's putting it on a steep angle, having some way to knock/scrap it off on a regular basis, or being able to remove it during winter. Good luck! [​IMG]

8. Cochin Love

Mar 30, 2017
    Apalachin, New York
    That looks great!

9. Cochin Love

Mar 30, 2017
    Apalachin, New York
    Trailrider330, Thanks for the welcome! I love this community. I was always looking up things here but was never a member. Don't know why I waited so long. There is so much helpful information here!
    Going to go with the shade cloth and just take it down before the snow flies. I will post pictures when we are done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by