1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shade? How much?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kanga77510, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Do chickens need a lot of shade? Are they pretty tolerant to heat? It's about 95 outside right now (october in Texas!)|, and I just rigged up some more shade for the girls, I figured if I was sweating they must be hot as well.

Three sides of their run are closed in, but I just put a few more boards for extra shade. Good idea?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No, chickens are actually a lot more tolerant of cold than of heat. Depending on your humidity and chicken breeds, 95 is getting into the danger zone.

Basically the bigger the area of shade, the cooler it will be in that shade. So, give them the biggest area of shade you can [​IMG] Shade from the western (afternoon) sun is more of a priority than shade from the eastern (rising) sun, if you have to choose.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Kanga77510

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    thank you! So in the summer (when it can get 100+ with humidity) they'll need a lot of shade. We'll have to set up chicken oasis then.

Will chickens "do" bird baths?

Totally off topic but I bought them some crickets today. Too funny to watch them hunt! lol.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm in North Texas, and just weathered my first summer with chickens. Shade is essential. Having an open air coop helps. You can put pans of water out for the chickens to stand in. This cools their feet, which cools their whole bodies. I also set up a "personal mister" in the hottest part of the day to help cool things down a bit.

What kind of chickens do you have? Mine are Serama hybrids, so they can handle the heat (cold is more of a problem for them).

5. Kanga77510

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:We have two red sex linked and one black mystery bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by