Shade & Sun Battle

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BDs, May 30, 2017.

1. BDs

BDs Just Hatched

May 22, 2017
    How much sun is too much for young, 5 month old chickens? We are in Southern CA and have full sun year round, but did just put up two shade sails which provide nice shade but the sun shifts all over the place so their water and food is never fully protected. Does this matter? On the weekends when we are home we find ourselves shifting it ever hour or so, so that it does not lay in direct sun.

2. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Chicken Obsessed

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Hello,

Good question...

My suggestion would be not worrying,
    as long as you have a shade spot they can run into to stay cool,
    they are fine! I hope this helps!

Good luck!
    -The Angry Hen

3. wynn4578

wynn4578 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    For your feed and waterer if you don't have anything to put them under you can build a 'mini shed' with no sides just tall enough and wide enough to put your feeder and weterer in. Basically a roof for the feeder and waterer. It will help keep the water cool and keep the feed dry in the rain. My chicken houses are lifted on stilts so my feed sit under them and my bucket waterers hang under the overhang to keep them cool. For the chickens I like to give them the option so my runs are about half shade and half sun.

The Angry Hen likes this.
  4. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    feed shed.jpg

5. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Did you make that? Neat!

6. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Yeah. No scale just an example of something one could do to keep the water in the shade and protect the feed.

7. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Good job! ;)

wynn4578 likes this.
  8. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    I don't think it is hypercritical. The chickens need a shady spot to go to, even if the moving Sun shifts where that spot is. The food doesn't ... but if your worried, put the food where it will be in the shade from noon through the afternoon.

Extra special things to help them stay cool: Watermelon ... they love it! Fill a baking pan with peas or berries or a mix of stuff like that, top off with water and freeze. Pop a couple out for them to peck at. We'll fill empty gallon jugs (the plastic disposable kind that bottled wear comes in ... similar o gallon milk containers ... freeze them ... if It is too hot out, cut off the container and out the block of ice in a pan. They won't peck at it much, but as it melts, they'll drink from the pan and cool off.

9. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Nice ideas!

10. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    Neat ideas, we often have really hot summers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by