We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Shades of white? Green? Washed out brown?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harveyhorses, Jul 17, 2019.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Powhatan Va
    I have 3 EEs, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 French Copper Marans, about a year and a half old
    2 Russian Orloffs, 1 GLW, and 1 Barnevelder all Hatched in late December and all fairly new layers.
    Everyone is healthy and as happy as they can be in 98 degrees.
    Suddenly I am getting 1 white egg, I thought at first it was just really pale green, but no, it's white, when compared under good lights and next to either brown or green. It's beastly hot, could it be just a very very pale green? I will take pictures when I get home. I thought I had a white one last week but my sister helped herself to some eggs before I had a chance to look closely. (Which is perfectly fine, but she paid no attention to egg color)

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Did you compare it to something white? Some of my blue eggs look white (especially right now) unless I put them next to something white. One good reason to have a white layer in the flock - contrast!

3. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Powhatan Va
    LOL, no, I only compared it to the green ones. I will do that when I get home. Thanks!

SunHwaKwon likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Always good to put eggs on a white sheet of paper when assessing or photographing.
    Could be pale green or light blue....coating pigment can fade as season progresses.
    Not sure the heat would affect it, but maybe.

5. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Powhatan Va
    It is an Off blue. Very very pale, weird because all my EEs are older, but I will take it. Thanks for the tips!

SunHwaKwon and aart like this.
  6. Phoenixmaine81

Phoenixmaine81 Chirping

Jun 9, 2019
    My EE is only two months not laying but she agrees whites a good contrast if in fact white even if the palish green.. She likes the idea.. lol I had to use this picture somewhere.. She saying white?? (,I think that'd be the best IMG_20190716_152033405.jpg if it turns out to be white) Cool

SunHwaKwon likes this.
  7. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    I have one that looks like her. Very beautiful! EEs might be my favorite (don't tell the others)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: