Shading my coop, what vines can I grow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by animal nut, Feb 3, 2009.

1. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I have a wonderful run for my flock but and concerned with shade. The coop faces west and will receive the afternoon sun most of the day. I was looking for ideas of some vines to plant on the fencing to create shaded areas. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I plant morning glory or some type of vegetable on a vine. I would like this to be a source of food if possible.

Currently 2 children,20 hens, 1 rooster, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 1 cockital.....getting 20 more chicks in March, because this hobbie is adictive...........

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Sounds like it would be real pretty but I think that if the plants grow where the chickens can reach them they won't last to long. My hens reach there necks out thru the chicken wire to get anything growing within their reach. Maybe it you were to rig some type of trellis beyond their reach it would work. I planted trumpet vines on a wire trellis and I hope that this year it will grow over on to the top of my run. Good luck

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Sounds like a good idea but I don't know how much food you'll get when those little beaks come around. [​IMG] The first thing that came to my mind was to be sure not to put a poisonous vines - I'm not sure about morning glory but I'm sure you could do a search online about it. I think any vine type vegetable would work well. Tomatoes and green beans come to mind. And if the vegetable idea doesn't work well, we have a weed that grows like crazy here called Virginia creeper that would do nicely ANYwhere! [​IMG] Just don't put in kudzu! LOL

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    we planted grapes on some of ours and that works good.

Steve in NC

5. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    Thank you for your imput. I am not trying to get food for my family, just food for the chicks. I my try the climbing veggies this year.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

The problem is they will peck the stalk right off at the ground. No matter what you grow.

7. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I planted cherry tomatoe vines for mine. On the outside of the fence so they had a chance. Once they took off they grew huge and very shady! Plus tomatoes love the hot sun!! And the chickens love the tomatoes. Morning glorys grew on there own, worked well too!

8. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    NO NO NO TOMATOES! The tomato plant is from the nightshade family, and the leaves and branches are poisonous because of the glycoalkaloids that are in the plant! Do not grow around chickens and do not let them eat the plant part of tomatoes!

9. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Interesting... I've Never had trouble with chickens and tomatoe plants. But good to know..

10. I planted morning glories over one end of the run and tomatoes on the outside of the chicken coop. The Morning glories gave good shade and the tomatoes made good food for them when I turned them out to free range. They would jump as high as they could to peck my tomatoes, so they had a fine time and I had no tomatoes [​IMG] marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by