Shadow the Squatting Easter Egger And Friends

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fleabuskitty, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Shadow (named by my younger sister because she appeared to wear eye shadow) is a one year old EE hen who, for some reason, has been "squatting" a lot the past few days when I get near her [​IMG] So of course I must post a photo, along with some photos of beard-deprived chickens [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aside from her recently discovered desire to "squat", Shadow is a perfectly normal Easter Egger who enjoys flaunting her beautiful beard. Wouldn't you want to flaunt it if you had a beard like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But not all chickens have such amazing beards! Stella the black sexlink is an example of a hen deprived of a beard.
    [​IMG]
    You can tell by her crazy eyes (and creepy appearance in the corner of this next photo), Stella is extremely jealous of Shadow's beard, but some hens, like Athena the Dominique, are perfectly content to beardlessly eat eggshells.
    [​IMG]
    Others, like Dotte the Silver Laced Wyandotte and Peanut the majestic Buff Brahma rooster, try to make up for their lack of a beard by being the loudest chickens in the flock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And others even try to make up for it by having the ability to fly on top of a two-story house like Venus the Golden Sebright
    [​IMG]

But some chickens know that they can be just as epic as a bearded chicken simply by being small, blue, and feather-footed while staring at some grass like Nona the blue bantam Cochin.
    [​IMG]

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    They're all beautiful, beards or no beards! Your squatting chicken is treating you like a favorite rooster :)

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got a Jersey Giant who squats for me all the time. I call her my naughty little saucy hen. I think she really enjoys a good little scratch. And if that keeps her from crowing (which I've heard can happen when you don't have a rooster) then I'm happy to oblige her.

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I had a chicken who would squat down in front of me because she liked me to take her and throw her so she could fly. She would do it every time I would walk around - three and four times if I stayed out there long enough.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Nice beards, nice wattles, and check out those earlobes! Nice flock!

6. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    But chickens aren't supposed to fly! Non-chicken people always get so confused when I tell them about how my Sebrights Venus and Aphrodite can fly [​IMG]

Although she doesn't really squat, Minerva the Dominique was once "captured" by my Corgi mix Dan who felt that it was necessary for him to lick bathe her when she got into the dog yard. He pinned her down and I ran over to chase him away, and Minerva was just lying on the ground. I thought he had actually injured her, but when I tried to pick her up she just hopped up and walked away [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, here are some of the less-photogenic chickens:
    Nona's daughter Morta (whose father was my RIR Tallulah)
    [​IMG]
    Hamcat (I just... I don't know.) and her unnamed brother (both mutts)
    [​IMG]
    Arcas and Callisto the Seramas
    [​IMG]
    Swarley, Hamcat's sister
    [​IMG]

7. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    What a nice flock! Thanks for sharing :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by