Shadows within my quail eggs *new*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jundiya, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jundiya

jundiya New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    this is my first time trying to incubating eggs I have two cortex quail eggs about 6 days old and 5 days old. I see veins and a dark area that takes up the majority of the egg, but not till today did I see shadows moving around in both eggs. im worried since they were completely fine yesterday. I was tried to keep one of the egg completely still for a while and the moving didn't stop. what is going on? are they still alive? I was really looking forward to having little baby quails.

2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Yes they are fine they are just having a wiggle its a good sign they are still alive they are proberly getting into position to hatch I would just leave them and let them do there thing im hatching out quail aswell i have just done the lockdown so they should start pipping soon Good luck with your hatch

3. jundiya

jundiya New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    thank goodness that makes me feel so much better! I was going to stop rotating them about day 14 or 15 does that sound about right? I also need to switch the habitat that will be better for the chicks any advice? or any advice about raising quail chicks? I have done my homework but anything you can give me would be loads of help. hopefully I will get two healthy quail babies! and I will name one Quilbert! :D

4. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Ha ha Yes That is right its day 14 for me and I have gone into lock down today! yes for when the chicks hatch you will have to put them in a brooder which is basically a box plastic or cardboard with two dishes one with chick crumb in and one with water and some marbles or pebbles in it to stop them drowning also you will need a heat lamp proberly a 60-80 watt bulb to keep them warm after they hatch you should leave them in the incubator until they are fluffed up and then move them into the brooder. also what incubator do you have and what day are you on thanks

5. jundiya

jundiya New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    ok so i have another problem, im going to be moving my quails once they hatch and are all nice and dry.. but the blub is pretty darn close to the eggs in the incubator and im worried they are going to walk into a hot bulb. the bulb is on a slope so it would take alittle bit of efforts but not impossible. im not sure what to place around the blub to stop them for getting too close... any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by