Shaking chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WAChickens, Mar 4, 2017.

1. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    So I know this probably should have gone into the baby chickens area but I'm not to sure where I would get the best response. So I have a week old baby EE that doesn't look like she's doing to well. What's going on is that she looks like she's breathing heavily and her body is moving around a lot, It's as if she's shaking. Sorry this isn't the best description but I don't know how to describe it. I got her to drink some water but I don't know if she drinks it on her own naturally.
    None of the other chickens are acting like this, so is something wrong?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What's your brooder temperature? Is she staying under heat or trying to stay as far away from heat as possible?

Watch to see if she is drinking - if not give her water individually. Heavy breathing sounds like she may be overheating, but with chicks it's hard to know.

If you have a video of her actions, that may help.

3. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    We just moved them into a different box today where they have more space to move so hopefully that should help! I plan on watching them for a bit longer to make sure that she is drinking. Thank you for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by