Shaking chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blanche, May 14, 2010.

1. blanche

blanche Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    eastern Pennsylvania
    Brought home 6 baby chicks 2 days ago. Five are doing really well but one shakes/shivers a lot (usually when she is awake; it does not seem to happen when she is asleep -- or, at least, doesn't happen as often). Do not believe she is cold, as she does not stay directly under the heat lamp; also all the other chicks seem happy with the temperature. She seems to be doing fine otherwise -- eating, drinking, behaving similarly to the other five. Any ideas about what could be going on? THANK YOU! (I am new to BackYardChickens & also posted this in the disease forum, just in case).

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    She may just be a little weaker. You could give her some sugar water; that might help.
    Sorry, I'm not very good with chicks. Hope it's alright!

[​IMG]

3. blanche

blanche Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    eastern Pennsylvania
    Thanks for your response. I am now very worried that the chick could have avian encephalomyelitis. Realize the shaking could better be described as head / neck tremors. Have isolated her in a box inside the larger box where the other chicks are. (because avian enceph. can be spread via feces). Moms infected with a subclinical case will have chicks who are infected. DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS DISEASE IN CHICKS? She does not seem to have other symptoms. Her eyes are not dull, her coordination seems fine etc. ANY IDEAS WHAT ELSE THIS COULD BE? She is miserable being by herself, and so are we!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by