shaking chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spokie, Nov 8, 2011.

1. spokie

spokie New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    I have been raising chickens for almost 3 months now. I keep them in ventelated rooms in an old building on the farm- a home made broiler if you like. Well they stay in the one room up until two weeks, then I move them to another room where they stay for another two weeks and then I move them to the last room where they stay up until they are ready. Two days ago my husband and I moved the 4 week old chicks into their new room. Strange thing happend today when I went in to clean, two of my chickens was shaking. I have never seen this before. My husband is scared that it might be newcastle but my chicks have been vaccinated and I am very disciplined on my hygeine. On the internet they say that the chickens head is suposed to shake when its newcastle. . .very confused. Can someone shed some light?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    First, let me welcome you to BYC! Glad you joined us.

I'm probably not going to have the answers you need, but let me ask a few questions that might help the next person who reads this.

Are the shaking chicks eating and drinking? Is their poop normal? Are they fully feathered now - or could they be cold? Are the ones that were just moved from that area exhibiting any symptoms?

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    They're probably cold. At 4 weeks they don't have enough feathers to keep them warm. You didn't mention where you live. That would be my guess.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I doubt it's Newcastle's, there would be other symptoms as well. It could possibly be Avian Enceptalomyelitis (AE.) Here's a link, just scroll down:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Then again, it could be only a vitamin deficiency. One or two drops of poultry nutri drench orally twice a day for about 4-5 days should give them a boost and perhaps relieve the symptoms you're seeing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by