Shaking head and limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stubbornhill, Aug 9, 2011.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Any ideas what may be wrong or what I can do to help? One of our 19ish week old Speckled Sussex has had a limp now for about 2 weeks. We put her in confinement thinking that the teenage rooster may have been rough on her and sprained a leg, toe, etc. I have looked. No wounds, no obvious fracture, not missing toe nail, no swelling. She was in confinement for about a week. Seemed to be doing better so I put her back out with the flock. The day before yesterday I noticed she is again limping and shaking her head. I put her back in confinement last night. That may or may not help the limp, but the head shaking thing???? Does anyone have any idea what I may be dealing with or what course of action to take? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Have you looked in her ears for mites? [​IMG]

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Hmmm...Nope. I haven't. I dusted them not too long ago. (About 2 months) What would you do if she did have mites that made their way to her ears? Just dust again, dust coop? I mean is there anything specifically that I would do for mites in her ears?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by