SHAKING HEAD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paulaj, Sep 28, 2012.

1. paulaj

paulaj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Hi I have 4 two week old chicks one is smallier than the others she is very active and eating well she shakes her head has done from a day old she does it when shes sleeping and awake any suggestions

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Head shaking can signify external parasites (lice, mites), so I would check for those first. It can happen with ear infections, something caught in her throat, etc. Do a really good once over.

I have had a silkie do it before. In her case I believe she was pecked on the head and caused an issue. She grew out of it, but I do think what I mentioned above are more likely.

3. paulaj

Sep 28, 2012
    Yes i have checked her but you saying about being pecked when i first got her she seemed to have a bit of blood on her head so maybe it was that

4. aoxa

Silkie's don't have a fully enclosed skull like other breeds, so their brain is exposed pretty much. A peck on the head will damage the brain for a silkie.

5. paulaj

Sep 28, 2012
    If that is the case,i think it is will she just carry on like the other chicks,is it just coincidence she is small

6. aoxa

What breed is she?

7. paulaj

Sep 28, 2012
    I am not sure would you have any ideal

[​IMG]

8. aoxa

I'm sorry, I can't really tell. All those reddish chicks look the same to me.

Where did you get them?

9. paulaj

Sep 28, 2012
    I live in england got them of my dad as a gift he got them from a farm he thinks the ladie just said there were hybrids really i am trying to get all the information i can to give these little ones a good life

10. aoxa

Hybrids - that could very likely be true. I have 18 of them growing out right now (red sex links) and some are much bigger than others.

Still not sure on the head shaking though :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by