Shaking heads!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by plreef, Jan 9, 2009.

1. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    For the last few days I've been noticing that my flock of 6 Sex Links and 2 EE are shaking their heads every 5 to 10 seconds non stop. At first I thought that it might be from the cold but when I went to see my friends flock right down the road, his were fine. Not sure on what I should do.

Any thoughts???

Thanks Jas

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Check for parasites...mites, fleas....they can cause head shaking.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Do they have any nasal drainage? Check them over around the head well. Good luck with them . Jean

4. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    What do mites look like?

5. Can you look down thier throats ?? There is a small hole at the base of the tongue, it should be the same color as the rest of the opening. If it is red and looks irriated you may have "gape worms"
    Birds will shake thier head and do a gasping thing with these. The other thing to CAREFULLY look for is any blood in the surrounding areas. IF you see blood, this is a very lethal disease. Get on here promto and tell us if you see any blood.

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I read that they do that when they have worms. Of coarse I can't remember which kind of worm.I'm sure someone else will remember.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by